BEAR Necessities operates eight BEAR rooms throughout Harris County that provide emergency supplies all year round for children who are in CPS care. These children often have nothing but the clothes they were wearing when the case worker arrived. Without supplies from BEAR Necessities, these children would not have critical items such as car seats, formula, diapers, clean clothing, hygiene supplies and more.
Each month, BEAR Rooms provide approximately 1,000 abused and neglected children with essential items. CPS caseworkers have access to a 24 hour BEAR room with other remaining open Monday through Friday from 8AM-4:30PM and each item is at no cost to the families.
Sometimes, the difference between a child who goes to school and one who doesn’t is a pair of shoes, a notebook and pencil. Sometimes, the difference between an infant who is healthy and one who isn’t is formula, clean diapers, lotions and powders — BEAR ensures that these children will not have to go another day without things that we all take for granted.
Critically Needed Items
The following list of items applies to all genders. BEAR asks that any donated goods remain unopened and/or have never been used (or worn). We kindly thank you for your contribution!
- Hygiene Packs (which include 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, bars of soap, individual toothbrushes and toothpaste, and deodorant – should you want to assemble your own!)
- Hair care products (lice shampoo, hair ties, and hair brush/comb)
- Baby Hygiene Packs (which include baby wash, baby lotion, baby powder, and diaper rash ointment – should you want to assemble your own!)
- Baby wipes
- Formula (all types)
- Diapers (NB – size 6)
- Baby items (pacifier, bib, receiving blanket, and ‘sippy’ cup)
- Feminine hygiene products (pads and tampons)
- Clothing of all sizes (NB – juniors)
- Pajamas of all sizes (NB – juniors)
- Socks of all sizes (NB – juniors)
- Shoes of all sizes
- Underwear of all sizes (child – adult)
- Stuffed animals
- Duffle bags/overnight bags *Children sometimes have to use trash-bags to hold their items. Together, we can make sure they have more than just a plastic bag.
- Household cleaning supplies (Lysol wipes, all-in-one cleaning solution, mops, broom & dustpan set, Fabuloso, laundry detergent, dish-soap, and paper towels)
Donate or Host a #BEARCares Drive!
To donate the critically needed items to the BEAR Rooms (a.k.a a #BEARCares Drive) or take a tour of a room, please contact Merri Hahn at Merri.Hahn2@dfps.state.tx.us or call (713)-274-9856. If you are interested in *donating larger items like car-seats, pack & plays, air mattresses, etc. please also contact Merri.
*BEAR asks that any donated goods remain unopened and/or have never been used (or worn).
You can also help by giving much needed funds to help BEAR stock the BEAR Rooms dispersed around Harris County. For more information on how to donate to BEAR Necessities, click here.