BEARing Gifts, BEAR’s largest program, provides brand-new holiday gifts to children under the care of CPS…children who otherwise may experience no holiday joy at all. Donors are able to sponsor a child or children by purchasing the gifts he/she requests, host a toy drive, donate monetarily to the program so BEAR can purchase requested toys, and/or volunteer their time at BEAR’s warehouse. Thanks to the dedication of the Houston community, BEAR has been able to successfully provide, on average, over 10,000 children with new Christmas gifts each year.
If you would like to donate monetarily to the overall program, simply click here to get started, and designate ‘BEARing Gifts’ as your program of choice. IMPORTANT: if you donate in-kind items to BEAR, please make sure to complete an In-Kind Form and mail/scan it back to BEAR.
Shop on Amazon!
Interested in contributing to this year’s program in a different way? Consider shopping on our Amazon wishlist! When you buy from this list, items arrive directly at our office, where they will be immediately distributed in our warehouse for BEARing Gifts. Please be sure to include your name and address so we can acknowledge your donation accordingly! The 2019 Amazon list is available here: http://a.co/0kDR6wx
*If you use Amazon Smile when shopping, be sure to find BEAR as your charity of choice!
Sponsor a Child – OPPORTUNITY NO LONGER AVAILABLE
With a shorter program taking place this year (drop off date is December 11th), beginning November 26. 2019 the opportunity to sponsor a child is no longer available. If you would still like to make an impact and support the program, we ask that you please purchase toys off of the Amazon wish list (see above information), or donate monetarily to the BEARing Gifts program. Thank you for your support!
Host a Toy Drive
Provide holiday cheer to children by hosting a general holiday toy drive and delivering them to the BEAR warehouse (3572 E TC Jester Blvd, Houston, TX 77018) by the due date, Wednesday, December 11, 2019. Donations can be dropped off at the warehouse M-F 8am-4pm. Should you have any questions about hosting a toy drive, kindly contact Merri Hahn at Merri.Hahn2@dfps.state.tx.us or (713)-274-9856.
*IMPORTANT: if you donate to BEAR, please make sure to complete an In-Kind Form so we can appropriately thank you!
Below are some ideas for gifts per age range:
- NB-12 Months: Nursery Toys, Teething Toys, Interactive Learning Toys (musical, counting, spelling, speech), Ride-On Toys, Sit-To-Stand Walkers, Activity Blankets, Soft Building Blocks
- Toddlers: Interactive Learning Toys (VTECH/Leapfrog), Toy Trucks/Cars, Action Figures/Dolls (and accessories), Costume/Dress-Up Items, Sports Equipment (all types), Board Games, Puzzles, *Bikes, Scooters, Building Blocks/Legos, Stuffed Animals, Play Food/Dishes
- Children (up to 11 years old): Action Figures/Dolls, *Bikes, Scooters, Sports Equipment (all types), Tween Make-Up Sets, Arts and Crafts Kits, Science/Discovery Kits, Board Games, Puzzles, Legos, Portable DVD Players, Remote Control Cars/Helicopters
- Children 12+: Tablets, Portable DVD Players, Bluetooth Headphones, Portable Speakers, Digital/Instant Cameras (with refills), Make-Up/Beauty Kits, Nail Polish Kits, Bath & Body Sets, Jewelry Items (both genders), *Bikes, Skateboards, Cologne/Perfume Sets, Purses or Backpacks, Wallets, Sports Equipment (all types)
- *Bikes = please ensure they are not assembled and are still in the box!
- All of this information is also available by clicking here –> BEARing Gifts: Toy Drive Ideas
Volunteer – ALL VOLUNTEER SHIFTS HAVE BEEN FILLED
Please see our ‘Get Involved’ menu section for other ways to get involved throughout the year, as this year’s program volunteer opportunities have been filled to capacity. Thank you!
Thank you again for helping make a child’s holiday wish come true!
*Should excess funds be raised after this year’s program concludes, said funds will then be used to purchase vital resources as a part of our BEAR Necessities Program, which operates year-round and provides thousands of children with everyday essentials they may need while under the supervision of Child Protective Services. This is the program that serves the most children in our community (over 14,000 annually), and is the cornerstone on which BEAR was founded. We appreciate your support and understanding; if you have any questions, kindly contact us at (713)-274-9850.